If you live in Florida and are gearing up for hurricane season starting June 1st, it is important to keep your family, home, and business safe this year. Without a doubt, Florida and surrounding states in the south have experienced catastrophic storms the past three years, and without the right protection, you will be paying more for repair, and potentially be put out of your home if extreme weather persists.
Installing impact windows is not the easiest process in the world, and it is critical to have your windows installed correctly. We have put together a short guide on how to install impact windows before the hurricane season is upon us. Read more to find out how you can take your safety into your own hands.
How to install impact windows?
It is important to remember that impact windows are not incredibly different to install than a standard window. You will need one or more volunteers to assist, however, hiring an expert will end up being the quickest and easiest method.
Here is our instruction guide:
- Separate your pre-existing window from its frame. For older homes, be careful to inspect for any rotting or damage that frame may have experienced through the years. Check for rotting or damage to the window frame, especially in an older home or if this is the first time you are installing new windows.
- Next, you will dry fit the impact window into the empty opening of the window frame. Before this step, it is important to measure and re-measure the dimensions. Dry fitting is a great way to make sure the right size has been purchased before caulking.
- Remove the unit and apply the appropriate sealant to the outside frame.
- Insert the new window into the empty opening; use a nail gun or hammer and nail to secure the window to the frame.
- Need more security? Use a silicone caulking to the edge of the frame to make sure the impact window installed is not leaking air or will invite in moisture during a storm.
- Double check all areas are sealed. A common mistake is to install a window and not know it was incorrectly installed or incorrectly measured until a storm comes through and damages your window frame and home interior with water damage.
Knowing When to Hire a Professional Impact Window Installation Company
If you are unsure how you should install your storm impact window, it is important to consult or hire a professional service that will be able to do the job from start to finish with expertise and create a quality end product. Why? Installing impact windows yourself can be both time-consuming and expensive if you aren’t a trained professional.
Hiring a professional impact window installer often makes the job easier and faster to accomplish. With hurricane season right around the corner, it is important to remember that hiring the right team can make or break your experience during storms. You can rely on Signature’s impact-resistant doors and windows since the glass is manufactured under high-quality conditions and will strengthen your home from the outside in, for years to come.
Interested in a no-obligation quote? We are happy to offer our customers a free consultation.