Families, individuals, and business owners who want to increase the security of a home or business from break-ins or storms, it is important to know how to measure for a storm door to get the right fit and aesthetic for a home or room. Security doors and windows are essentially useless if they do not properly fit a door or window frame.
When you take the time to make this important investment into your home, make sure you are doing your homework and getting specific measurements that are unique to your home. Additionally, if you are unsure how to measure and have asked yourself, “How do I measure for a new storm door?” the answer is more straightforward than you might think.
To assist you in this task, we have compiled a step by step manual on how to measure a storm door for replacement or initial installation, as well as answering all your questions from “How do I measure to buy a new storm door?” to “What is the correct process in measuring for a new window or door installation?”
Read on to find out how you can get the job done right the first time!
Step 1: Checking for any obstructions
The first and one of the most important steps you will make is to check the threshold or a doorway for any pieces that are popping out, loose hardware, or any other obstruction that will hinder or slow down the installation of your new storm door. Some common places to look include:
- Handles to doors, mail drop boxes, porch lights, decorations, or security systems like Ring or even uniquely installed doorbells. Before installation, remove or relocate these items until your newly installed door has been replaced.
- Architecture, including porches, pillars, or steps, can prohibit a door from swinging in or out, depending on the type of security door installed. Make sure you are measuring any and all possible obstructions that are built into the home, and plan ahead on how you will install through potentially difficult circumstances.
Step 2: Record and measure the height of the door
This might seem like an obvious step, but it is important and more involved than you may have previously thought.
To answer the question of how to measure a storm door, you must measure the new door in three places: the top, the bottom, and the trim or header. To do this, you will need a tape measure, and start at the top and work your way down measuring the three points.
Here is a quick guide on how to measure a storm door for replacement:
- Use a tape measure at the top of the frame. Sometimes the material will be metal, like steel, brass or silver. Other times it will be concrete or alike mixture. Use the tape measure to extend from the bottom end of the top piece to the exterior trim.
- Repeat this step on the left side of the door, the center, and the right side, taking a record of the measurement on each side and plane. You can expect a typical storm door to range between 80” or 81” and also between 96” to 97” depending on the age of the home.
- Record and highlight the smallest of the three points of measure. These are the numbers you will end up working with the most.
Step 3: Record and measure door width
Next, you will be measuring the width of the door from all angles. The three spots or positions you will measure include: the top of the door opening, the middle of the door opening, and the bottom. Record and highlight these areas.
Step 4: Calculate the door measurements
As we stated before, you will be using the smallest measurement from step 2. Organize the measurement and calculate the final number by using “w x h” format. When you order your storm door or consult with Signature Impact Doors and Windows, you will use this number to purchase your new door.
How to choose the right storm door for your home or business?
It might seem overwhelming to choose a storm door for your business or home, but there are experts who can help guide you in the right direction. At Signature Windows and Doors, we encourage our customers to either choose a door that is categorized as standard sized or order a custom size that fits their needs perfectly. If you have a door that measures outside of the standard size, give us a call, we can help give direction that fits your needs.
Our team is eager to work with you in helping you choose the perfect storm door for your home or business. Give us a call and protect your home with a new storm door or windows, today.